This recipe happened by mistake, I was in the Supermarket doing my weekly shop and following my list to precision when suddenly I came across a new product to me, (Sun Rice Naturally) Rice & Quinoa. Off the shelf it came and into the trolley followed by lots of rubbing the chin and thinking, ummmmm
- Quinoa is an Ancient Grain full of all the good stuff like: Antioxidants, Vitamin E, Fibre and Protein.
By adding Chicken to this dish you’re having more Protein and adding flavour. Making this recipe without meat would be just fine.
Quinoa and Rice Salad
- 11/2 cups Quinoa and Rice
- 1/2 Red Pepper sliced
- 1/2 Green Pepper sliced
- 1 cup frozen Peas, Corn and Bean Mix
- 1 cup Silver-beet sliced or Spinach
- 1/2 cup Edamane Beans
- 1 clove Garlic crushed
- 4 medium sized Mushrooms sliced
- 1 teaspoon Dried Italian Mixed Herbs or Tuscan Seasoning
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 300-400g Chicken diced
- 1-2 tablespoons of Olive Oil
- 1/4 cup Cobram Estate Olive Oil, any brand will do
- 2 tablespoons Jamie Oliver Italian Herb Pesto, or what ever you have in the fridge
- Lemon Juice
- Salt and Pepper
Whisk all these ingredients together in a small bowl. If not sweet enough to your liking add 1 teaspoon of Brown Sugar or Honey.
OR drizzle with Olive Oil and add a good squeeze of Lemon.
Cook the Quinoa and Rice following the instructions on the bag.
Heat the Oil in a frying pan and add the diced Chicken and cook until brown all over, about 5 minutes.
Add Garlic and Herbs stirring for about 1 minute.
Toss in the Green and Red Peppers,frozen Peas, Corn and Bean mix, sliced Mushrooms, Broccoli if using and Edamane Beans.
Cook for about 5 minutes or until Vegetables are tender.
Take off the heat and add the cooked Quinoa and Rice.
Over the top of the ingredients add the sliced Silver-beet or Spinach.
Toss gently until wilted.
Place into a warmed serving bowl ready for the table and drizzle over the dressing just before serving. If you don’t want to make the Dressing just drizzle with Olive Oil and finish off with a good squeeze of Lemon.
I served Corn-Bread with this.